Uh-oh! You’ve just heard those dreaded words: You need a root canal. But now what? If you don’t know much about the procedure or what you can expect, it can make an already stressful situation even more stressful. But not to worry! We’ll explain some of the basics and assure you that it’s probably a much easier experience than you realize.
And since we offer both general and endodontic (root canal) dentistry in our office, you won’t have to go to a different office or work with a separate endodontist. You can have your root canal in Asheville and your regular dental appointments all under one roof. We know it isn’t much fun to hear that you need a root canal, so we at least make it as convenient as possible to have it done!
What Is the Procedure Like?
After performing root canals for many years, we can tell you from experience that a lot of patients are surprised at how easy it is. Since you’re fully numb from start to finish, you won’t feel any sensation at all from the procedure. It’s actually no more difficult than having a filling or a crown.
And despite their terrible reputation, don’t forget that root canals save valuable teeth that would otherwise need to be extracted!
As for the procedure itself, here are the basic steps:
- We’ll start by making sure you’re completely numb and comfortable.
- Then we’ll put a “rubber dam” on the tooth to isolate it and keep it dry. You might already be familiar with one of these, as they’re often used for fillings.
- Next, we’ll make a very small hole in the top of the tooth so we can remove the damaged or infected tissue from inside the root of the tooth.
- Then we’ll thoroughly clean out the “canals” of the tooth and re-fill them with a rubber-like material called gutta percha.
- Finally, the small opening is sealed with white filling material until the tooth can be crowned. A crown is usually recommended because the tooth has lost its blood supply and can become weak and brittle.
Looking For an Endodontist In Asheville?
If you ever a need a root canal in the future, you’ll be pleased to know that finding endodontics in Asheville is more convenient than you realized! We know that it can be inconvenient to go to a separate specialist’s office, so we offer everything in the same office.
Since we have the training and experience to take care of every phase of your treatment, you’ll be able to have your exam, root canal and crown done here.
Everyone can agree that having an established history with your dentist is ideal. That way, someone who understands your unique needs and can accommodate you better will be taking care of you!
About the Author
Dr. John White makes professional excellence a priority and provides a wide variety of specialty dental work, including cosmetic, restorative and endodontics. He combines decades of experience with extensive advanced education to provide an outstanding experience to all of his patients. If you have any questions about root canals, he can be reached via his website or at (828) 684-3020.